Sunday, January 7, 2007

Twentysomething Arabic Version

A Few weeks ago a good friend of mine introduced me to Jamie Cullum, the British Jazz/pop signer. When Soraya introduce me to him she put a DVD of his Blenheim Palace concert and skipped a few song and asked me to listen carefully to the one she chose. Well Guess what?? I loved it!!

The song was "Twentysomething" it summarized the whole beginning of real life experience for those who are living in developed countries. Now most of you would be wondering what does that have to do with Saudi Espresso?? well thinking back at it I figured out why Songs and Music are considered Haram in our society!!! Yup I found it !!

It is because no song ever expressed what those who sing it really feel! Well lets think about it for a second.. how many young arabic singers sing professionally? and from those how many would leave all the ancient arabic talent in love poetry and sing about the thoughts and the experiences of the young generation ?

Arabic singers fall into two broad categories according to me; those who decided to take it professionally and provide us with outstanding pieces of music talking about amazing love stories, which by the way are against our social norm, or those who decided to provide us with a TV friendly striptease show classified as YTC (yet to be classified).

No wonder I am listening to Western music! I'm looking for something that express what I feel not something that tease me about things I'm only allowed to dream about! This is why arabic music is haram in our society ... because it gives you false dreams about things that will never happen to you if you live in such society, except for a few exceptions of course!

If I'm going to listen to arabic music again something have to change then: The social norm or the context of the music. Wonder if any of them would change?

Sulaiman

No comments: